The Ludington & Scottville Branches of the Mason County District Library Offer Numerous Programs for Children & Families
The Ludington and Scottville Branches of the Mason County District Library are dedicated to providing a vast array of educational, fun, free programs to our communities. In addition to regularly scheduled programs, they frequently host special events for both kids and adults. All events/programs at the Mason County District Libraries are free.
Due to COVID-19 concerns, both branches have been closed but will be reopening on Wednesday, May 19th
COVID-19 policies will still be in place, following current state health regulations. Everyone in the building, or attending a program outdoors, is required to wear a mask properly covering the nose and mouth. Masks will be available for those who do not have one. Social distancing will also be requested.
Library use will be limited to 30 minutes per person with a capacity of 20 people in the Ludington branch and seven in the Scottville branch.
Meeting rooms are not yet open. Programs and events will be conducted outdoors or online. Children under age 12 must be accompanied by a parent. >
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 10 am- Outdoor Preschool Story Time. Dress for the weather and drop on in to the Ludington Library’s back yard for in-person Story Times. Social distancing and masking is required. Will be canceled if severe weather occurs.
- Fridays from 11am-3pm - Fun Family Friday Craft Bags. The libraries will distribute Fun Family Friday Activity packets every Friday at both Library locations in Ludington and Scottville. The packets will be outside on the fence posts in Ludington’s back yard and on the clothesline in Scottville. In rainy weather, look for the packets under cover somewhere near the main door.
- Every Monday - Babytime Online. New videos every Monday at masoncounty.lib.mi.us/babytime. Join Miss Emily every week for a new Babytime recording with rhymes and songs about letters, numbers, our world, and our families.
- Every Monday through Labor Day at 1pm - Kid's Activities at the Ludington branch. Every Wednesday through Labor Day at 1pm - Kid's Activities at the Scottville branch.
- Now through Labor Day - Tell Your Tale for Teens. The Tell Your Tale program will encourage students to write a story and convert it to video. Students will receive help and guidance with writing, filming and editing their stories. At the end of the program students will have a complete video and will have hands-on experience with movie editing software. For more info, visit masoncounty.lib.mi.us/tellyourtail.
- June 11th-Labor Day - Kids Summer Reading Program. Get ready to be wild and read this summer with the Tails and Tales Summer Reading Program. Library staff members have created custom challenges for all age groups. Readers have choices of online reading challenges and paper participation options such as Bingo reading challenges. Register online or pick up the paper participation handouts from the Ludington or Scottville branch.
- June 1st-Labor Day - Teen Summer Reading Program. Get ready to be wild and read this summer with the Tails and Tales Summer Reading Program. Library staff members have created custom challenges for all age groups. Readers have choices of online reading challenges and paper participation options such as Bingo reading challenges. Register online or pick up the paper participation handouts from the Ludington or Scottville branch.
- June 1st-Labor Day - Adult Summer Reading Program. Reading fun and prizes for the grown-ups, too!
For more information on the summer reading programs, visit masoncounty.lib.mi.us/srp
Below is the Regular Schedule for Programs, Pre-COVID:
Preschoolers and Kindergarteners
Babytime: Stories for Babies - Mondays at 10am, Ludington Library.
Preschool-K Story Time - Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays at 10am, Ludington Library. Fridays at 10am, Scottville Library.
Kids & Teens
Creative Kids: Self-Directed Art, Games and Puzzles - Mondays, Tuesdays, & Fridays from 4-5:30pm; Saturdays from 9:30am-2:30pm, Ludington Library. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 4-5:30pm, Scottville Library.Fit Club - Wednesdays at 4-5pm, Scottville Library; Thursdays at 4-5pm, Ludington Library (Children 7 & older).
Block Party with Lego Brand Bricks - Saturdays from 9:30am-2:30pm, Ludington & Scottville Libraries.
Teen Games - Monday-Friday, 3:30-5:30pm, Ludington and Scottville Libraries.
Monthly Programs for Kids & Families
Teen Movie Night - First Thursday of every month, 6pm, Scottville Library (age 12 and up).
Annual Holiday Events
Every holiday brings a special celebration to the libraries. There are parties for Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras, Easter, Earth Day, Halloween, and Christmas...always fun and always free!
Summer Fun at the Library
Summers are so much fun at the Mason County District Libraries, the kids may not want to go to the beach! The Summer Reading Program is for kids of all ages, with Read to Me for kids up to eight years, Independent Readers for those 5-13 years, and Teen Readers for 11-18 years. Incentives include book bags, local merchant gift certificates, books, and small toys. Just 20 minutes of reading a day!
During the summer months there are also weekly crafts for kids ages six years and older, Science Camps in July and many special programs as well as the ongoing weekly programs.
Weekly Summer Programs
Preschool/Kindergarten Story Time - Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 10 am, Ludington Library. Fridays at 10am, Scottville Library.
Creative Kids: Self-directed Art, Games and Puzzles - Mondays from 2-4pm; Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Fridays from 1pm-4pm; Saturdays from 9:30am-2:30pm, Ludington Library. Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1-4pm at Scottville Library.
Fit Club - Wednesdays & Thursdays from 12:30-3:30pm, Ludington Library. Tuesdays at 4pm, Scottville Library (Children 7 and older).
Block Party - Create with Legos. Saturdays from 9:30am-2pm, Ludington & Scottville Libraries.
Quidditch - Fridays at 4pm beginning June 22nd, Ludington Library.
All events at the Mason County District Libraries are free.
The Mason County District Libraries Aren't Just for Kids!
The Ludington and Scottville branches of the Mason County District Library also host recurrent programs for adults.
Programs for Adults
Adult Craft Night - 1st Tuesday of the month (January 6th-May 5th, September 1st-December 1st) at 6 pm, Ludington Library.
Adult Book Club - 3rd Tuesday of the Month year round at 1pm at the Scottville Library.
Digital Downloads - Wednesdays from 5-8pm, Scottville Library.
About the Mason County District LibrariesFour years of fundraising and seven months of construction has produced the beautiful new children's wing to the Mason County Library in Ludington. The Keith Wilson Children's Center was formally dedicated on May 18, 2012. The new wing adds over 5,300 square feet to the library, which now offers a Story Time and Sailboat Play Area, West Shore Bank Multi-Purpose Room and Craig R. Rasmussen Outdoor Activity Area which is enclosed by a fence.
Children simply love the Mason County District libraries in Ludington and Scottville. They're kid-friendly, and have activities all year for children of all ages. The mission of the library is children's literacy...encouraging children to read by making it fun and enjoyable. Their theme is "Just Imagine," allowing kids to engage their minds and curiosity of the world around them.
The Mason County District Library is so much more than books...it's a fun place for kids to learn and explore, while increasing children's literacy.
Contact the Mason County District Library at:
217 E. Ludington Ave.