Ludington has many businesses to help you enjoy crafting and appreciate the finished product. Let them help you create your own masterpiece!
Photo by Todd & Brad Reed Photography
West Michigan Photography Workshops
We are fortunate to have many talented photographers present photography workshops throughout the year in a variety of popular Michigan destinations.
Todd and Brad Reed Photography
Todd and Brad Reed offer Photography Workshops throughout the year. Picture Perfect Weekend Workshops are for total beginners as well as seasoned professionals who have been shooting for decades. All photographers will learn and benefit from the Picture Perfect Workshops. Todd and Brad cover many technical aspects of photography, including shutter speed, F-stops and aperture, ISO, depth of field, etc. Their goal is to teach people how to make better choices with their own camera…and to have a thrilling experience while learning.
Picture Perfect Weekend Workshops
There are two options for attending the Picture Perfect Workshop:
- Virtual – This is being offered in a video series that is over seven and a half hours in length. Cost for the workshop video series is $95 and includes four videos for digital download.
- October, 2023 – The Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast- 602 E. Ludington Ave., Ludington. Cost is $450 which includes food and refreshments. The Lamplighter does offer a reduced room rate for all Reed students and those who stay will also receive a free 14″ matted print of choice from Todd & Brad Reed Photography. Space is limited to nine participants and room reservations should be made by calling the Lamplighter at (231) 843-9792.
In order to be eligible for future photography workshops, the participant must have already taken the Picture Perfect Weekend Workshops at the Cartier Mansion in the past, attend the workshop at the Lamplighter, or be on file as the person who participated in the video series.
Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast- 602 E. Ludington Ave., Ludington
May & October, 2023
You must have taken either the virtual or in-person version of the Picture Perfect Weekend Workshop to attend this class. Cost is $450 which includes food and refreshments. The Lamplighter does offer a reduced room rate for all Reed students and those who stay will also receive a free 14″ matted print of choice from Todd & Brad Reed Photography. Space is limited to nine participants and room reservations should be made by calling the Lamplighter at (231) 843-9792.
Heaven on Hamlin Workshop
Heaven on Hamlin- 3795 N. Lakeshore Dr., Ludington
You must have taken either the virtual or in-person version of the Picture Perfect Weekend Workshop to attend this class. Cost is $795 that includes a $250 non-refundable deposit. Class is limited to the first seven students. Participants stay at a home on Hamlin Lake, offering a great opportunity for a high level of personal interaction between photographers. You will have your own bedroom and several bathrooms are available. Lodging, all meals, and workshop fees are included in the price. The home has steep stairs and, during the outside portion of the workshop, participants will be hiking/walking on sand, dunes, etc. The main portion of the shooting experience is on a pontoon boat.
Porcupine Mountain Workshop
Porcupine Mountain- Ontonagon, Michigan
You must have taken either the virtual or in-person version of the Picture Perfect Weekend Workshop to attend this class. Cost is $2500 which includes lodging at the Americinn in Silver City, all meals, and workshop fees, snacks/drinks during class time, and picnic lunches in the field are included. Students are responsible for their own transportation and any meals that aren’t included. The Porcupine Mountains present a more challenging environment than the other workshops. There is more hiking/climbing on very steep, slippery rocks. Many trails may be muddy from rain or waterfall action, as well.
What to Bring to the Picture Perfect Weekend Workshop:
- At least 6 different prints (any size) of your best work for critique. These must be printed out on paper or photo paper. They can be your favorite shots, even if they didn’t turn out. We can help you figure out what went wrong.
- A camera (film or digital) and instruction manual.
- Bring lots of batteries for your own kind of camera. Remember that cool evenings on Lake Michigan can eat up battery life.
- A working tripod that works with your own camera would be strongly advised.
- Dress for the elements. It can get pretty cool on Lake Michigan, even during the summer.
- Good hiking shoes for walking in the sand and on the water’s edge is recommended for people who get cold feet. Waterproof boots are recommended.
- A good hat that you can put in your pocket and taken out in case you need to protect yourself from the winds coming off Lake Michigan.
- And, of course, gloves that are easy to take on and off while you are taking pictures are also recommended.
Private Lessons by Todd & Brad Reed
Todd & Brad Reed also offer private lessons. Cost is $100 per hour with a minimum of four hours (at a single time, cannot be split). This would be for one of the two photographers to give the private lesson. Availability is very limited. Email email@example.com for more information or to schedule private lessons.
Current Events in West Michigan
Festivals and Calendar of Events for Ludington, Manistee, Scottville, Pentwater, Silver Lake Sand Dunes, and Baldwin in West Michigan.
Michigan offers weekends during the year where residents and outstate visitors can fish, ORV, or snowmobile without permits.
Pentwater’s Winterfest includes many family friendly events including fishing tournaments, cross country skiing, sledding, and ice skating.
The communities along Lake Michigan are blessed with talented actors and musicians that entertain us throughout the year.
Beer, cider, wine, and more are at this wintertime festival! Stay warm with heaters and a large tent for shelter while you enjoy!
The park remains open year-round for hiking, snowshoeing, activities to give those who love winter something fun to look forward to!
The annual Hart Winterfest includes fun activities like a broomball tournament, soup walk, ice fishing tournament, and more.
West Michigan is a popular location for various races and runs… including the Lakestride Half Marathon and the Lighthouse Triathlon.
West Michigan fishing tournaments give anglers a chance to add a little money to their pocket in addition to the fish in their bucket.