Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash.com
Fall Events in West Michigan
Table of Contents
Autumn is such a great season here in West Michigan. You can visit a multitude of festivals, take a fall color tour to view the spectacular oranges, reds and yellows that take over the landscape, and just enjoy the cool, crisp air. Halloween is not just for kids- our local communities sponsor various parties and events that are fun for the entire family.
For more information on Trick or Treat dates and locations, read our Halloween story.
Local Corn Mazes & Pumpkin Patches
8400 N. US 31, Free Soil. (231) 464-5534. Wagon rides, corn maze, u-pick pumpkin patch, apple cannons, and more. 11am-5pm Saturdays and Sundays in October. Visit OrchardMarket.us for more information.
The Jam Farm
The Jam Farm is located at 5075 W. Meisenheimer Rd., Ludington. (231) 845-9909. Pumpkin Patch. (NOTE: Pumpkins are only available every other year. The next pumpkin patch will be in 2023.)
Fun Fall Events That Are Currently Scheduled
- Through October 30th, 2023 – Scare Crow Contest hosted by Circle Rocking “S” Children’s Farm – The event is free for special needs families, groups, and nursing homes. A $25 fee is requested from businesses or the general public. Participants may be from Mason, Manistee, or Lake Counties and addresses must be clearly marked on judging week. For entry forms, visit circlerockingsfarm.org.
- Friday, September 29th-Saturday, September 30th, 2023 – Harvest Weekend for campers at Kibby Creek Campground – 4900 W. Deren Rd. in Ludington. Visit kibbycreek.com to reserve your campsite.
- Friday, September 29th-Sunday, October 1st, 2023 – Halloween at the Station for campers at Vacation Station RV Resort – 5061 W. US 10 in Ludington. The event includes spooky train rides, pumpkin decorating, trick-or-treating, and a site decorating contest. Visit vacationstationrvresort.com to reserve your campsite.
- Saturday, September 30th, 2023 – Octoberfest Craft Beer & Music Festival in downtown Ludington.
- Tuesday, October 3rd, 2023 at 3:30pm – Halloween Hayride, Costume Contest and Potluck Dinner at Circle Rocking “S” Children’s Farm – 5487 Tuttle Rd. in Free Soil. Bring treats, a dish to pass, and your own beverages and table service. Must RSVP by September 30th by calling (231) 462-3732.
- Friday, October 6th-Saturday, October 7th, 2023 – Harvest Weekend for campers at Kibby Creek Campground – 4900 W. Deren Rd. in Ludington. Visit kibbycreek.com to reserve your campsite.
- Friday, October 6th-Sunday, October 8th, 2023 – Halloween Weekend for campers at Scottville Riverside Park– 700 S. Scottville Rd., Scottville. Includes site decorating contest, hay rides, chili cook-off.
- Friday, October 6th-Sunday, October 8th, 2023 – Halloween at the Station for campers at Vacation Station RV Resort – 5061 W. US 10 in Ludington. The event includes spooky train rides, pumpkin decorating, trick-or-treating, and a site decorating contest. Visit vacationstationrvresort.com to reserve your campsite.
- Friday, October 6th-Sunday, October 8th, 2023 – Halloween Weekend for campers at Ponchos Pond – 5335 W. Wallace Rd. in Ludington. The event includes trick-or-treating, a site decorating contest, kids’ pumpkin carving, costume contest and more. Visit poncho.com to reserve your campsite.
- Saturday, October 7th, 2023 from 1-5pm – Fall Festival at the Ludington State Park– 8800 M-116, Ludington. Event includes horse-drawn wagon rides, live music, beach bonfire, apples, donuts, and cider. Free event but donations are appreciated.
- Friday, October 13th-Sunday, October 15th, 2023 – Halloween Weekend for campers at Ponchos Pond – 5335 W. Wallace Rd. in Ludington. The event includes trick-or-treating, a site decorating contest, kids’ pumpkin carving, costume contest and more. Visit poncho.com to reserve your campsite.
- Saturday, October 14th, 2023 from 7-10pm – “A Scream in the Night” Halloween Drive-thru event to benefit Connexion Point Addiction Treatment & Recovery Program. $5 per person. Cartier Park Campground- 1254 N. Lakeshore Dr., Ludington.
- Saturdays from October 14th-28th AND Fridays October 20th & 27th, 2023 from 7:30-11:30pm – Camp Sauble Cages of Carnage Haunted Prison – 4058 E. Free Soil Rd. in Free Soil. $15/person entry fee benefits local fire departments. Handicapped accessible and with 2 trails to follow. Not recommended for small children.
- Friday, October 20th, 2023 from 5-7pm – Footsteps for Families Pumpkins in the Park 1-Mile Fundraiser Walk to benefit West Shore Family Support. Glow items, coffee, hot chocolate, and donuts will be provided. Free and open to the public. Cartier Park Walkway Loop- 1101 N. Rath Ave., Ludington.
- October 20th, 21st, 27th, and 28th from 7-10pm and October 31st from 6-9pm – Harvey’s Haunted Garage – 320 S. Madison Ave. in Custer. Haunted maze, family friendly, and free for all. Donations accepted.
- Saturday, October 21st, 2023 at 10am – Annual Smashing of the Apples at Victory Township Hall- 4411 N. Stiles Rd., Scottville. Supplies will be provided to make apple juice and there will be a pot luck. Please bring apples, if you’re able. For more information, visit facebook.com.
- Saturday, October 21st, 2023 from 3-5pm – Haunted Village at Historic White Pine Village– 1687 S. Lakeshore Dr. in Ludington. Children are encouraged to wear costumes and trick or treat throughout the historic buildings in the village. Admission is $7.50 for adults, $6.50 for seniors 60 & up, $5.50 for youth ages 4-13, 3 & under free.
- Sunday, October 22nd, 2023 from 2-4pm – Spooky Slow Roll Bike Ride beginning at Spindrift Cyclesports- 102 W. Ludington Ave. Costumes are encouraged and snacks and prizes will be provided.
- Wednesday, October 25th, 2023 at 6pm – Halloween Family Fun Run/Walk to benefit the Childhood Cancer Campaign. Participation is by donation and costumes are encouraged. There will also be candy, cider, and donuts. Cartier Park Pavilion in Ludington.
- Friday, October 27th, 2023 from 5-9pm – Annual Harvest Festival at The Inn at Ludington- 701 E. Ludington Ave., Ludington.Games, Prizes, Costumes, Candy, Food, Punch and so much more! The event will include a Blueberry Pie Eating Contest at 5:30pm, Harvest Maypole Dance at 6:30pm, and a Ka-Pong Tournament at 7:30pm. There will also be games, prizes, costumes, candy, food, punch, and more. Proceeds to benefit Blue Hat Ministries.
- Saturday, October 28th, 2023 at 9am – Run for Your Lives 5k & Half Marathon in Downtown Ludington.
- Saturday, October 28th, 1-4pm – Halloween Celebration at Legacy Plaza sponsored by Safe Harbor Credit Union. This free event is open to the public and includes games, prizes, treats, and activities. Also includes downtown Trick-or-Treating from 2-4pm.
- Saturday, October 28th, 2023 from 7-11:30pm – Ludrock’s Night of Fright at Ludington Area Center for the Arts- 107 S. Harrison St, Ludington.
- Saturday, September 30th, 2023 from 3-11pm – Steinfest at Golden Sands Golf & Bucket Bar- 2501 Wilson Rd. in Silver Lake. Keg Rolling/Throwing, Stein Hoisting, and more!
- Saturdays in October – Haunted Acres – Cost is $25 for three attractions. There will also be food vendors on site and merchandise available for purchase and parking is free. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Free Parking. Haunted Acres- 7970 Park Rd., New Era. Visit facebook.com for more information.
- Saturday, October 14th, 2023 – Oktoberfest in Downtown Pentwater. Bingo, Comedy Night, Kids Activities, Entertainment Tent, and more.
- Saturday, October 28th, 2023 from 12-2pm – Spooktacular in downtown Pentwater – Event includes costume contest (12:15pm), scavenger hunt, and downtown trick-or-treating (12-2pm). Visit pentwater.org for more information.
- Tuesday, October 31st, 2023 from 5-7pm – Haunted Library at the Pentwater Library- 402 E. Park St., Pentwater. Free and open to the public.
- Fridays & Saturdays in October – Manistee’s Ghost Ship on the S.S. City of Milwaukee historic carferry. This is a truly thrilling and scary adventure. Travel through five decks and 72 stairs, some quite steep. Located at 99 Arthur Street (US 31).
- Saturdays & Sundays through October – Whovilles Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch from 12-5:45pm at Calvin Lutz Farms- 8576 Chief Rd., Kaleva. Corn Maze, You Pick Pumpkins, Games, Cider, Donuts, Wagon Rides and more. Call (231) 889-5594 for more information.
- Saturday, October 7th, 2023 – Onekama Fall Festival in Onekama Village Park – Craft and food vendors, inflatables, kids activities, fun run, pet parade, and more! Visit onekama.info for more information.
- Friday, October 13th, 2023 from 9pm-2am – Night of the Clowns Halloween Party featuring the Haunted Acres Clowns. Includes a tap takeover by Starving Arts Brewing, music beginninat 9pm featuring Rock Hard, and a Clown Costume Contest with prizes for the scariest costumes. Sandbar- 203 S. James St., Ludington.
- Friday, October 13th-Sunday, October 15th, 2023 – Bear Lake Fall Festival which includes music, pumpkin painting, car show, kids games, “BearCrows”, and more. For more information, visit facebook.com.
- Fridays, October 13th & 20th, 2023 from 5-9pm – Whovilles Family Friendly Corn Maze at Calvin Lutz Farms- 8576 Chief Rd., Kaleva. Maze is not haunted and flashlights are welcome. Call (231) 889-5594 for more information.
- Friday, October 27th-Saturday, October 28th, 2023 from 8-10pm – Whovilles Haunted Corn Maze at Calvin Lutz Farms- 8576 Chief Rd., Kaleva. Call (231) 889-5594 for more information.
- Saturday, October 28th, 2023 – Manistee Fall Festival with various events including a Virtual Pet Photo Contest, merchant Trick-or-Treating, Ghost Ship, and more. Click here for the most updated event schedule.
- Saturday, October 28th, 2023 from 10:30-11:45am – Spooky Science & Children’s Costume Crawl beginning at the Manistee County Library – 95 Maple St., Manistee.
- Saturday, October 28th, 2023 from 6-11pm – Boos, Brews, & Brats at the Manistee Elks Lodge- 432 River St.
Fun Fall Events That Are Typically Held
- Chili Cook-Off at Ruby Creek Conservation & Recreation Club- 8152 E. Washington Rd., Branch. Enter a pot or sample and vote. Dessert will also be available. Suggested donation is $5 per person. For more info, call Janet at (231) 233-4637.
- Pumpkins for Change Pumpkin Decorating Contest at Betten Baker Ford- 3045 US 10, Ludington. Pumpkins will be available at Betten Baker Ford of Ludington for a $5 entry fee from October 19th-22nd and can be dropped back off when decorated (no later than October 25th at 6pm). The first place winner receives: 50% of the total entry fees collected (the other 50% will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation). The second place winner receives: gift card to a local business. Winners will be chosen and announced on October 26th to celebrate National Pumpkin Day. For more information, call(231) 845-5111.
- Ice Skating Spooktacular at the West Shore Community Ice Arena- 3000 N. Stiles Rd., Scottville. Admission/skate rental is $10/person with proceeds to the West Shore Wolves Hockey League. Costumes encouraged!
- Halloween Party Fundraiser for Mason County Eastern School’s Sports Division at Mel’s Long Lake Cabins- 7414 US-10, Branch. Admission is $5 per person and includes hot dogs, chips, cider, costume contest for both children and adults, door prizes, games, face painting, a raffle for cabin stays and pontoon rental, and more. For more information, visit facebook.com.
- Halloween Charity Event at Photography by Sue Brown- 1676 W. Hansen Road, Scottville. Free photo with donation to United Way of Mason County. Sign up by visiting signupgenius.com.
- Sloan’s Halloween Display – 5789 N. US-31 in Free Soil. Come browse and take pics at this annual free display. Pumpkins for sale.
- Halloween Haunted Trail – Admission is $5 per person and refreshments will be served. Walkerville Cross Country Course- N. 180th Ave., Walkerville.
- Free Homemade Donuts! Pentwater Fire Department– 486 E. Park St.
- Kids Halloween Craft Night at Maple Grove Township Community Center- 9208 Kauko St, Kaleva. Kids ages 5-12 are welcome. Ages 5-7 will need to be accompanied by an adult. Limited to 15 kids, so reservations are encouraged.
- Trick or Treat and Halloween Parade at the Filer Township Fire Department- 2706 Nelson St. in Manistee.
Stay tuned for the most updated schedule of Fall Fun in West Michigan for 2023!
Current Events in West Michigan
The Caswell Horse Park at the Mason County Fairgrounds in Ludington is a busy place from May-October, with many horse shows.
Advertisement – Please scroll below for more information.
West Michigan Activities & Attractions
Take one of the most scenic drives in the nation as you travel across M-22 in Manistee County. A long winding road of adventure awaits!
West Michigan is home to numerous artists with so many different talents. Groovy music, vivid paintings, gorgeous photography, and more!
Michigan has a public ORV trail system for four different riding opportunities–motorcycles, ATVs, ORVs, and scramble areas.
Ludington has many businesses to help you enjoy crafting and appreciate the finished product. Let them help you create your own masterpiece!
Much of West Michigan is bicycle-friendly, and you’ll find many nice paths on which to ride. It’s great exercise with great scenery to enjoy.
Pere Marquette River, with it’s moderately fast current and clear water, is an extremely popular river for canoeists and kayakers.
Along the Lake Michigan shoreline between Ludington and Manistee, you’ll find natural splendor- the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness area.
Todd and Brad Reed offer Photography Workshops throughout the year. These classes are great for beginners as well as seasoned professionals.
Standing tall and proud along the shores of Lake Michigan, Point Betsie marks the southern entrance to the Manitou Passage.
Dune Rides in your ATV or ORV are popular at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan, but many rules and regulations apply.